Thursday, February 14, 2008

Distance training

I've been lucky. I've been around some experienced teachers that taught me a lot. One of the most important thing I learned in training is how distance is very important in fighting. That is, you must know how far you can hit a person, and how far that person can hit you.

I think, the first thing you should learn, is how far can you hit a person with your weapons (like your feet, knee, fists, fingers, hands etc).

A couple of months ago, I was training kicking on a punching bag. He said to me, "you're doing it wrong." I said, "my kicking?" and he said "not exactly". I was perplexed, and he then said to kick from "at least back here" which was about a metre from the punching bag. He then said, "kick me where you were kicking before like I was the punching bag." I kicked him at the same distance I was kicking before and I was getting pummeled. "From the distance you kicked me, I could of hit you with both of my fists, elbow or even knee and it would of been faster than your kick" he said. He also added, "All styles have good attributes, but it is how you use it that makes the difference."

I learnt a great lesson that day. You have to be aware of your distance, even in training. Because if you train wrong, it can have serious consequences.

I'll leave a quote:

"Best distance, best angle, best timing... best chance!"

No comments: